Monday, October 15, 2007

From Jassi to Jesse

What is the difference between Traditional and Modern thinking, I was asked by a panel of experts (for a scholarship thingy), and I, spluttered, raved and ranted, till they realised what a nervous wreck I was and pitying me, kicked me out of the room.

I mused on my way back home, coming up with a thousand different ways I could have impressed them.

I guess the major difference between the traditional and the modern is the way they follow rules. A traditional person follows rules given to him without any reasoning and a modern person makes his own set of rules. This is when we realise that none of us are modern. Caught between a South Indian-demure-devoted-God fearing-obedient-girl image and a perverted-unthinking-crass-hooligan-student image, I realised, I was traditional in both these spheres. In each society that we move, we ultimately get tied down by the respective rules.

Back home, I follow my parents' orders and give into familial pressure and my supposed modern escape to college, has turned out to be the place where I give into peer pressure. The sudden spurt in visits to the beauty parlour, listening to a different tune, enjoying different (ahem) movies, eating out at expensive places, are these things a welcome change...? They just seem to be yet another set of rules that I have followed subconsciously.

What I mean is when you realise that your lifestyle is drastically changing from what it was, how much of it do you ascribe to a simple transition and how much to pressure? Is it a person transforming a traditional thinking to a modern one or is the person abandoning a set of traditions only to move onto a different one?

I guess we all subconsciously like to follow rules. We just choose the set of rules that we like the most and label ourselves and others, traditional or liberal, or whatever. It would be nice to make my own rules once in a while. Nice things, unfortunately, are damn hard to attain( it applies to men, cell phones, books, chocolates, clothes et al).

4 comments:

Modular Form said...

There is no advantage to being your own master in every aspect of life. You have to make people smile and the best way to do that, as far as friends and family are concerned, is to be one of them. You fall into the mould established by others, but so what? If you try to be headstrong with everyone, you will be no different from our buddha.

That aside, I firmly believe that perverted-unthinking-crass-hooligan-student image is the way to go!

Sam said...

so you are indirectly stating that the root of your pervertness, lies in your friends....? hehehe

Anonymous said...

List of nice things continued...

sambhavi
surabhi
ice cream (sundae from aditi and eating it in dean's lawn)
the day after an exam

Aniruddha Agarwal said...

Interesting...
Maybe an another perspective would be that the difference between traditional and modern thinking is that:
* traditional thinking is more protocol-based
* modern thinking at times is based on proven facts and not observed things.

Who said traditional thinking is not pervert? At times, it is.
There's a diff between orthodox and tradition