Thursday, December 6, 2007

The last song of dusk

As the sun’s rays falter
And the sky turns darker
The wind begins its song
To mourn the day that’s gone.

At first, it is soft and slow
A mere hum, loving and low
Soon swells to a wail and cry
A loud lament piercing the sky.

A song blown everywhere
Reeking of loss and despair
At times the tone does drift
But the rhythm; never shifts.

To the sun, says the sea,
Tarry awhile, stay with me
And the wind beats its cadence
But the sun departs in silence.

The dual lament rises and falls
As the setting sun answers no calls
Wiser, the two entwine to sing a lullaby
For the night and to bid the day goodbye.

1 comment:

Sam said...

I wish i could hear
And feel the winds come,
If only less louder was
My electric fan's hum.
My headphones mock and jeer
My radio spits and swears
I hence choose not to hear
Just to feel the winds come.