Saturday, December 8, 2007

An Idle mind is a Devil's workshop

If necessity is the mother of invention, then idleness is the grandmother of this blog. Two days having elapsed since I've been freed of PSM's clutches (hopefully till my internship) and other exam terrors, I've been thoroughly idle after a long long time and I am absolutely revelling in this strange sensation. Now this idleness is not really a gift, this is something which I' ve enforced upon myself before I plunge headlong into the murky and deep waters of my final year (the last and the ultimate frontier) especially when I don't even know how to swim. I fatalistically reasoned, since I am anyways doomed to a year of the ultimate in slogging and ghasoogiri, it makes better sense to remain as idle as possible and to conserve energy for the crucial days ahead. Something akin to hibernation which is so in vogue this season.

Having thus decided, I became busy to prepare myself to remain idle. All offending mentions of ENT, Oph and PSM tucked away, any escaping pages firmly pushed backed into the drawers and my offensive final year books locked in the cupboard for some days, I settled myself on my cushy bed with 3 pillows and a couple of story books to give me company. That was two days ago.

Three sunrises and two sunsets later, I 've finished both the story books, have posted my melancholy in poems for all to comment upon, have made a few snide comments myself and have Orkutted all those who have had the misfortune to be online at the same time as me, several times a day. I have slept for 12 hours straight without any guilt, have munched upon endless packets of Kurkure (Okay..., 4 to be honest) and have seen TV till my eyeballs were ready to pop out. Initially, I was surprised (Yay! Ananya, u r not studying), then euphoric (Yippee! I am actually not studying) and now I am bemused (Hey, what are you doing, not studying yet?) .

I have come a full circle, having run out of ideas to amuse myself. I am in that transition stage, the feeling that you get when you are somewhere midway on a steep and slippery slide where you have left the safety of the handles above and you don't know how hard your bottoms are going to hit the bottom of the pit. So, now neither do I want to hit my books yet nor do I want to read another story book. To amuse myself, I even offered to sweep the house when the maid played truant and went shopping (something which I clearly detest, never mind that its purpose was to replenish my own things). Now I have reached that stage of idleness when my mind, too idle to think of new ideas, can only think of words to write and complete this blog which itslf is an exercise in the futility of idleness.

So I request all those idle people who took out time to read this blog to furnish some ideas on how to beat idleness. But do hurry up, for I've 40 hours before the spell weaves off and I have to start grinding my nose in the horrendous mill of studies from Monday morning.

P.S. I thank you all for bearing with me and coming this far. It speaks wonders of your persistence in idleness.

3 comments:

Sam said...

You spoke for 180 other bemused souls, my dear. My idle phase is still going on... I don't want it to end... boo hoo.

Sam said...

What actually applies to me is , a devil's mind is an idle workshop!

Ananya said...

Wake up and smell the pages of Harrison's and every other new edition which is going to come out now... :-(